Savory Nut Loaf
This delicious nut loaf makes perfect picnic food.
1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra for greasing
1 onion, chopped
1 leek, chopped
2 celery ribs, finely chopped
8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
15-ounce can lentils, rinsed and drained
1 cup mixed nuts, such as hazelnuts, cashews and almonds, finely chopped
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup grated aged Cheddar cheese
1 medium egg beaten
3-4 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs
chives and sprigs of flat-leaf parsley, to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Lightly grease the bottom and sides of a 9 x 5 x 3 inch (8-cup) loaf pan and line with wax paper.
2. Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the chopped onion, leek, celery ribs and mushrooms and the crushed garlic, then cook gently for 10 minutes, until the vegetables have softened, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the lentils, mixed nuts, flour, grated cheese, egg and herbs. Season with salt and mix thoroughly.
4. Spoon the nut, vegetable and lentil mixture into the prepared loaf pan, making sure that is is pressed into the corners, and level the surface. Bake, uncovered, for 50-60 minutes, or until the nut loaf is lightly browned on top and firm to the touch.
5. Cool the loaf slightly in the pan, then turn out onto a serving plate. Serve hot or cold, cut into slices and garnished with chives and flat-leaf parsley.